When it comes to oral health, scheduling regular dental cleanings, exams, and X-rays helps prevent problems before they get out of hand. Poor oral health affects more than just your mouth; it can contribute to other chronic diseases, such as diabetes, strokes, and heart disease.
If you’re afraid to go to the dentist or it’s your first time, keep reading to learn what to expect at your appointment. Contact our team at Main Street Dental in McGregor, TX, to get an accurate diagnosis, learn about possible options to solve your oral health concern, and receive a treatment cost estimate.
What To Expect During Your Dental Cleaning, Exam, and X-Ray
Although the exact procedures vary depending on your oral health and history, most patients go through the following procedures during a dental cleaning and exam appointment:
- A professional dental cleaning by one of our friendly hygienists
- Measurement of the gum pockets around your teeth to determine the health of your gum tissue
- X-rays, when necessary
- An oral exam by Dr. John Shultz or Dr. Claudia Raimondo, which includes oral cancer screening
Not all dental cleaning and exam appointments include these steps. For example, you may only require X-rays and an oral cancer screening once a year.
Benefits of Dental Cleanings, Exams, and X-Rays
Even if you’re diligent about brushing and flossing your teeth daily, plaque and tartar will accumulate on your teeth over time. Only a trained hygienist can remove the accumulated tartar. Benefits of visiting our dentists for dental cleanings, dental exams, and X-rays include:
- Improved tooth color: Routine dental cleanings help your teeth stay clean and improve tooth color.
- Catch problems early: Professional cleanings prevent gum disease, tooth loss, and cavities, giving you a brighter smile and fresh breath.
- Improved overall health: Studies have established links between oral health and overall well-being. Dental cleanings, exams, and X-rays help lower the risk of cancer, stroke, diabetes, and heart disease.
Reach out to our dentists at Main Street Dental in McGregor, TX, for cost estimates of dental cleanings, exams, and X-rays.
Caring for Your Teeth Between Cleanings
To get the most from professional dental cleanings and dental treatments, it’s essential to maintain a proper at-home oral healthcare routine. We advise that you:
- Brush your teeth twice daily with a fluoride toothpaste
- Floss daily
- Continue getting regular dental cleanings and exams
- Maintain a healthy, balanced diet, and limit snacks
- Use a mouthwash that contains fluoride
How Often Should You Schedule an Appointment?
We recommend that patients schedule dental cleanings, exams, and x-rays every six months. You may need to come in more often if you have a chronic oral health condition such as tooth decay or if you’re in the middle of an orthodontic treatment plan.
During your exam, Dr. John Shultz or Dr. Claudia Raimondo will provide an accurate diagnosis, present your treatment options, and recommend an appointment schedule to maintain optimal health.
Are you looking for a friendly and experienced dental team for your dental cleanings, exams, and X-rays? Contact Main Street Dental at (254) 840-2991 to schedule an appointment at our clinic in McGregor, TX.